Sunday, 4 March 2012

Goosegogs and Other Ribes

We swung by Lidl yesterday and bought, amongst other things, some edible Ribes.

In other words, we bought a Redcurrant, 2 Blackcurrants and a Gooseberry - all for the grand sum of £5.

I'm quite excited about the Blackcurrants, happy about the Redcurrant, and not at all interested in the Gooseberry.

I don't like Gooseberry and since our purchase the following rhyme has been circling my brain:

Lumpy. lumpy custard
Snot and bogey pie
All mixed together with a dead dog's eye.

That pretty much sums up my view of Gooseberries although having done a quick search, as you do, I find other versions of this rhyme referring to Rhubarb and Custard, or Cheese and Tomato.

My Grandad had two Gooseberry Bushes and, bizarrely, I can remember splitting the fruits open and eating the seeds when I was a child. But I didn't like the flesh.

Steve loves Gooseberries and I was interested to read that, in terms of companions, Broad Beans are reputed to help the Gooseberry Bush along.
It is interesting to me because Steve loves Broad Beans too, whereas I don't.
We can have a bed planted with 'things for Steve'.

I hope the Gooseberry does well. Mainly for Steve but also because I like the idea of bringing something back into our garden that my Grandad grew.
Also, I want to taste a Gooseberry because, over the years, my palate has changed and many things I disliked as a child I now find I can tolerate, or indeed relish.

Is there anything that you hated as a child that you now eat with relish?



19 comments:

  1. It's no wonder you don't like gooseberries after that rhyme. I didn't like them either as a child, but wonder if I'd like them now. I used to hate runner beans and French beans as a child, yet I love both now. I'm growing broad beans for the first time this year to try as I didn't like those as a child either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another bit to the rhyme but I thought it might be a bit much ;)
      I can do Broad Beans now if I take the skins off, but that's labour intensive :)

      Delete
  2. I have found the red varieties of Gossebery much sweeter than the green.......................unfortunately last year so did the birds!!


    We are moving soon and I really want to transplant mine ...thanks for the reminder that i must dig them up and pop them in a pot before they break dormancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for visiting :)
      I've never seen red gooseberries, only the green.

      Delete
  3. oh i will have to pop into lidls i want some blackcurrents.
    im following you now great blog.
    http://theallotmenttimes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for visiting. I shall be over to peek at your Blog soon :)

      Delete
  4. I hated onions and now I can eat them just fine.
    I had a gooseberry growing here for years but it never produced anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, isn't it? I used to hate Liver, then I discovered I liked the gravy it makes, now I just eat it.

      Delete
  5. I like all three of these and have them in my garden. Black currents are excellent fresh with milk(cream) and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making my mouth water, Red! :)

      Delete
  6. We had some gooseberries at our last house and when ripe they were a bit like grapes, very sweet. But the ones we have here are quite sour and cant be eaten raw, although maybe I picked them to early.You got quite a bargain for £5. I will look for a Lidl near me. Have they any leaves or buds on them? I could do with some more so I can make some jam.I did try a recipe with them to make a sauce to go with mackerel and it was really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure the ones I bought had strong buds on them :) There were some ornamentals too.
      I've heard that Goosberries go well with Mackeral, will have to try that.... if we get any!

      Delete
  7. Brussels sprouts! I used to hate them as a child. Last year I decided to grow a few plants and my god they were delicious!
    I started out with some bacon strips and melted cheese on top. Just in case, bacon and cheese almost make everything taste nice. With fear I pricked one of those little green balls on my fork and was amazed by the full flavor. I will definitely grow more sprouts this year.

    Got a gooseberry plant last year. Rivercottage.net got some great recipes which I am ready to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anything that you hated as a child that you now eat with relish?

    Vegetables. All of them. I used to refuse to eat just about anything aside from potatoes (since they're barely a vegetable), onions & gherkins. Now I'm happy to eat any veg - although I'm still not a fan of much raw stuff.

    We expanded our fruit bush collection with an Aldi special a couple of months ago - three bushes for about £2.50 -- we got two each of redcurrant, blackcurrant & raspberries. I got the same last year so we should get a good berry harvest from now on. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! It was you who got the bargain at Aldi! I had forgotten who it was :)

      Delete
  9. I am so thankful that I enjoy eating anything but fish.

    It is great to see most of the supermarkets stocking these cheap fruit bushes and trees again this year. We stocked up on raspberry canes only to get an allotment the next day with a hundred or more of them..

    Martin :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm! Raspberries. They're the only soft fruit I go nuts for.
      Luckily, we have some :)

      Delete
  10. How come your lidi has 'stachelbeeren' and mine just has a poxy English week with baked beans and wine gums? - Cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! What an image to portray of the English... although I have to say that I am partial to both. You would probably like to see Pot Noodles and Pork Pies?
      Nice to see you here, Cousin - at last I have prompted you into a comment!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment, even if you are simply passing by. We love to hear from our visitors and we do try to reply to everyone.
Thank You.