Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Ash Wednesday 2012

Yes, I know, that is a picture of our Pancake Pan and the title of this post is, quite clearly, not Shrove Tuesday.

However, this is the pan that came down last night to make our pancakes. We won it in the  Cutlery and Catering Blog Competition last year.

Amidst the lemon squeezing and sugar sprinkling frenzy last night, I managed to take only one photo. Quite frankly, it looks a little obscene and I really couldn't compete with the beautiful photo on Lavender and Lovage. Suffice it to say, our Pancake Pan worked wonders and our Pancakes were very tasty.

So, Ash Wednesday, a day that should remind us all of our own mortality... why am I planning fish for supper?

It is traditional during Lent to eat no meat, eggs or dairy produce. What's left? Fish.
Personally, I find it curious that faced with 40 days potentially filled with fish, people would be so eager to jump in and have fish on the first day of Lent.
Still, as a nod to Lent and because it is Ash Wednesday, we shall have fish.

We would probably have had fish anyway, if I am honest.

Steve cooked at the weekend and during his trip to the Fish Market for his menu he picked up some "Fish Bits" that the stallholders helpfully sell for making Fish Pies & etc.
He also made Fish Stock and I have leftovers from that.

The only question now is... Chowder or Fish Pie?

9 comments:

  1. Oh I am glad you like your pancake pan. we used ours yesterday too and the pancakes slid over to make tossing them so much easier. I wonder what people used to do with all the eggs their hens produced during lent, then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the eggs :) Perhaps they preserved them? Mmm...Pickled Eggs!

      I have to say the pan does make it flipping easy :)

      Delete
  2. I don't often eat fish, purely because no one else in the house will eat it. We used to have fish every week when I lived with my parents. There was a van which used to call round every week selling fresh fish, I loved smoked haddock, in fact, I think I'll buy some when I go shopping and do myself some. The others don't know what they're missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on! Spoil yourself! I love smoked haddock.

      Delete
  3. The pancakes sound awesome and I do love pancakes. So what are fish bits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish bits are just an assortment of offcuts from other fish they are selling. You usually get white fish, some salmon and something smoked.

      Delete
  4. We hardly ever have fish. The kids never liked it so when I do cook fish it is mostly just for Phil and I. I only know how to fry it and make catfish stew anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had catfish stew, Becky. Is it good?

      Delete
  5. catfish stew? sounds kinna crazy...what is catfish meat like?

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment, even if you are simply passing by. We love to hear from our visitors and we do try to reply to everyone.
Thank You.