Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Pork Pasties

I'm always on the lookout for Pork Recipes and this is one I have adapted from an old book of my Mum's.

It's ideal for using up left over Roast Pork and it has the added bonus of using Eggs too!



1lb Shortcrust Pastry
2 Hard-Boiled Eggs
8oz Cold Roast Pork
2-3 Eating Apples
1 Small Onion
Sage
Salt & Pepper
1 Egg for Glazing
~

Chop the Eggs, Pork, Apple and Onion.
Mix together and season with Sage, Salt and Pepper.

Pasty fillings rarely look appetising before they have been baked in their pastry overcoats but I thought I should give you some idea of what it looks like.


You need to roll out 8 Pastry Rounds of about 7" diameter.

I form my Pastry into a 'sausage', then cut into slices before placing in the fridge to rest. I find it easier to roll one piece at a time.
Most people will roll a sheet of Pastry then use a 7" plate to cut the rounds.

Pile on your filling.
Before Baking
Brush the Pastry edges with beaten egg then bring up the sides to meet on top, pinching together to seal them.
Brush the finished Pasties with beaten egg.


Bake at 200C (400F / Gas 6) for 25-30 mins.


After Baking
It is a very simple recipe but quite delicious.
You will have to adjust the seasoning to taste.
I use fresh Sage and quite a bit of it because we like the Sage and Onion affair.
I also use White Pepper for this recipe, rather than black, but that is from personal choice.

We enjoy them hot from the oven, or cold with Pickles.






10 comments:

  1. I love baking - but HAVE to sample as stuff comes out of the oven - yes I tend to burn my mouth on the first one....BUT THEN as they cool slightly they become even more tempting....in fact, melt in the mouth!!! So I HAVE to have 1....or 2! Then hubby will come in and he will sample one....or 2 and I HAVE to ensure he doesn't eat alone.....not very caring is it? So I HAVE to have 1 with him...and if he has another....well so do I! Then the few remaining cool.......and I HAVE to sample a chilled one......or 2!!!!!!
    Needless to day....I dont bake much - for the sake of my figure! lol!
    Looked lovely I have got to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I made 8 yesterday... for two of us... there are 2 left...

      Delete
  2. they look AMASING i am salavating as i type! I love recipes that use you leftovers and transform them into a feast of there own, next time I do rost pork I will give this a bash and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pasties. This filling is a little different from any I've had before though, I'd be giving them a go if I wasn't on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great combination of ingredients...love apple and pork together, and since it's is baked in a pastry, I can imagine it being a dessert ;) - apple pie with pork. Yummy anyway you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glo, at first I thought you were bonkers... but then I thought of the great dollops of Apple Sauce I have with Roast Pork and have decided that you are just a little odd... in a nice way :)

      Delete
  5. I have never tried any pasties but they sure do look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Becky! You don't know what you are missing! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks to everyone for your kind remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was wondering what to do with leftover jerk pork shoulder - methinks some pasties are in our future. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment, even if you are simply passing by. We love to hear from our visitors and we do try to reply to everyone.
Thank You.